Western Pacific GP7 #705
Western Pacific locomotive 705, built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors in 1952. She served the railroad until December 1982 when the Union Pacific Railroad took over the smaller WP in a merger. A few years later, the 705 was retired and sold to the Arizona Central, a Shortline railroad. She was later moved to the Great Western Railroad in Colorado where her then owner made plans to scrap the old engine. A group of 12 FRRS members pooled their resources and saved WP 705 from the scrap pile and on March 23, 2005, the locomotive completed her journey back to home rails. Now, this classic locomotive will be restored to operation alongside other former Western Pacific motive power at the Portola Museum.
Back to Portola Roster Page